Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Session 18 April 3, 2007

Session 18 The Ruins of Al-Anria and The End of the Level of Abjurations

“Archmage Tyrrick”, “Inspector Gideon” and “High Priest Festus” (Brendan) Changeling Thief-6, Wizard-1, Master of Masks-1
Argent (Ben) Warforged War Blade-8
Enalo Endless Shores and Trot the Crocodile (Mike) Water Goblin Druid-8
Specere Tredecim (Jeff) Synad Psionic Warrior-4, Crusader-4

Othokent Ketherd (Michael) Kobold Bard-5 [Retired]
Prechrysler (Steve) Human Wizard-4 Sorcerer-1 [Retired]

The coffin was cold to the touch, but was completely empty. Enalo suggested that possibly the coffin could belong to a vampire and that we should destroy it. Between Argent, Specere and Enalo they destroyed and burned the coffin. Heading out the door we went north to the door at the end of the hall. Specere listen and thought he heard something making a chittering sound. I used the helm and detected one thought of animal intelligence. Argent opened the door. As soon as the door was open I launched a fireball into the room hitting the biggest monster I had ever seen. The creature was a gargantuan scorpion with hundreds of snakeheads coming out it chitinous armor. Specere was the first into the room with that awesome first attack where he apparently uses some kind of special charge attack in conjunction with his psychic energy release. I not sure how he does it, but the attack was spectacularly devastating as usually. The hit sliced some of the chitin armor off the scorpion and ichor began oozing out of the wound. Argent charged in and made a powerful attack as well damaging the chitin armor on the other side of the scorpion releasing ichor from the wound. The two warriors were sure to leave a large enough opening for Enalo, in Rhino form, to charge the scorpion and gore it with his tusk. Having survived the all our attacks the scorpion used it claws on Argent and Enalo grabbing hold of Argent and squeezing his for even more damage. The tail attacked Specere who had inflicted the huge wound on the scorpion. Specere later said he felt a rush of nausea from the sting, but that it past quickly. Since the guys were in combat I decided it was safest to launch a magic missile at the scorpion. The scorpion was looking really bad when Specere made his second attack on the scorpion although it was not near as devastating as the first attack it was the killing blow. Searching the room we found it contained bins, jars and casks. The bins were filled with rotten winding cloth for mummies and the jars and casks were filled with spices used during the embalming process. I searched these items and in the bottom of one of the bins I found a potion and a small chest. I inspected the chest didn’t find any traps and picked the lock. After opening the door that killed me I decided it might be best if someone else opened the chest up. Specere opened the chest and inside was 2000gp. Enalo again wanted to burn all the cloth and spices before we leave the room. After Enalos’ little bonfire we exited the room and headed east. As we suspected the door at the end of this hall connected to the room that was filled with bones. We turned around and went back past the scorpion room and the room with the ebony coffin when Specere had an idea. He asked to see the map I had found a long time ago. Looking at the map we realized that we were close to the room that was marked with a large X. We proceeded to the room and as Specere listened at the door as I concentrated on any thoughts on the other side of the door. Neither of us detected anything. Opening the untrapped door we found a room with a huge stone slab with a large bronze ring on top of it. We searched the rest of the room and found nothing else of interest. Argent decided to pull on the ring and try and move the slab. He pulled and it budged. With the help of Specere, Argent was able to move the slab to reveal rungs of a giant-sized ladder going down into the darkness. Argent, Specere and myself went down the ladder and found a 20 by 20 room with no doors. We searched the room and I found a secret door. Specere went back up the ladder and tied a rope to Enalo’s rhino tusk and the other end was tied to Trot to lower him down. While Specere was tying the rope I detected thoughts on the other side of the door. At first I thought I detected one mind, but then it increased by twelve more minds of animal intelligence. Argent drank a potion of bull’s strength and I used my wand of cat’s grace on myself. Enalo lower Trot down the ladder and then he climbed down the ladder in his goblin form. Specere enlarged himself and I drank a potion of bull’s strength as Argent opened the secret door to reveal a huge 40 by 50 foot room filled with twelve wolves and what looked like a werewolf. No sooner had Argent opened the door then all the wolves rushed the door and the werewolf thing shot Argent with an arrow. Specere attack the first wolf, but was caught off balance and missed horribly. With all the wolf and werewolf by the door Enalo released his flying piranha spell. At the end of the spell all the wolves were dead and there was nothing living between Specere and the werewolf. Specere made his super attack as an enlarged creature this time. He hit the werewolf with a powerful attack severely wounding the werewolf. I chose this time to use my wand of scorching ray on the werewolf. I hit the werewolf and he dropped dead. When he died he turned into an old drow with flame tattoos. We searched the room and the body. The room had a bed, a chair, a lantern, a wooden holy symbol with flames and a scorpion. The chair had a black hooded robe. The body had a composite short bow, 19 arrows in a quiver, a great axe, a ring and a set of bracers. I cast a detect magic the axe, ring and bracers glowed. The room had a door in the opposite wall, but we decided to go back up and investigate the rest of the level. We climbed the ladder and hauled Trot up the ladder. We headed back through the bones room and down the hallway towards the rock to the door were there were scorch marks on the wall opposite the door. I searched the door, but didn’t find any traps. I listened at the door and detected one thought on the other side. Argent opened the door and inside the room as a four-foot wide floating eyeball. Someone, Enalo I believe, said “It’s a Beholder!” From my understanding of the legendary creature few people survive attacks from them. Argent didn’t hesitate and charged the eye tyrant. His delivered a powerful attack to the eye, unfortunately the eye turned one of its eyestalks towards Argent and shot a ray at him. I wanted to do as much damage as possible so I fired a scorching ray at the beholder and it dropped. To the surprise of all of us it seemed too easy. Inspecting the eye tyrant Enalo decided it might be the cousin of the beholder, a creature called a Gauth. In the room with the Gauth was a bejeweled coffin. I inspected the coffin for traps and found none. Argent opened the coffin and found inside a female mummy wearing, according to Argent, high quality leather armor. I inspected the coffin and decided the only valuable part was the gems so I removed all the gems and put them in my bag of holding. The guys had searched the body and only found the leather armor. I decided to search myself and found a set of masterwork thieves tools. These might come in handy since I have had one set stolen and I broke a second set.

Quotes:
[Specere’s player was intently reading a book]
{Enalo} Your brow is furrowed in consternation
{Arch Mage Tyrrick} Naw, it’s furrowed in constipation.
[The group thought about taking the black ebony coffin]
{Arch Mage Tyrrick} Let me get this right. We put the coffin in the bag of holding so when the mist starts going in the bag my character asks “Guys, what do I do now?”
[In the room with a mummy and old embalming materials]
{Argent} The embalming fluids and the mummy are both expired.
[About the room with just a slab of stone with a ring]
{Argent} The ring is probably a Grimtooth’s trap.
{Arch Mage Tyrrick} I back out the door.
[In reference to the Whistle of Summoning]
{Arch Mage Tyrrick} Every time I blow, he comes.
[Specere describing his action]
{Specere} I’m gonna pull a scroll outta my (pause).
{Enalo, Argent, and Arch Mage Tyrrick at the same time.} Ass.
[Room is filled with 12 dead wolves]
{DM} Because of the wolves the floor counts as rough terrain
{Argent} “Ruff” terrain
[Previous week Argent’s player was absent and Arch Mage Tyrrick died opening a door]
{Argent} I bet I opened every door last time.
{Specere} No, Tyrrick opened one door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home