Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Session 17 March 27, 2007

Session 17 The Ruins of Al-Anria and The Wailing Deaths

Sarai Stewart, “Archmage Tyrrick” and “Inspector Gideon” (Brendan) Changeling Thief-6, Wizard-1, Master of Masks-1
Argent (Ben) Warforged War Blade-8
Enalo Endless Shores and Trot the Crocodile (Mike) Water Goblin Druid-8
Specere Tredecim (Jeff) Synad Psionic Warrior-4, Crusader-4

Othokent Ketherd (Michael) Kobold Bard-5 [Retired]
Prechrysler (Steve) Human Wizard-4 Sorcerer-1 [Retired]

After the battle with the dread wraith both Argent and me needed a couple of days rest and some restoration spells from Enalo. I used my time to identify the scepter as a scepter of hold person with eight charges. The crown we found I estimated to be worth 5000 gold pieces. The rest of the time I used to record two new spells into my spellbook. The spells were Critical Strike and Lesser Acid Orb.
Our group met up again and decided to head back to the “creation” chamber. We walked through the portal and immediately noticed that the room was a massacre. The body of the guards had been chopped up and thrown around the room. There was blood on the walks, ceiling and pools of blood on the floor. Whoever killed these people left us a strong message that they were not pleased. We literally gathered up the body parts into a bag and took them back to Dean Petty. Specere left some money to be given to the victim’s families. He has had a change of heart lately. He seems more charitable and almost religious in his beliefs now. I’ll have to keep watching him and see if I notice anything more. I could read his mind and see what he is thinking, but I don’t like hearing three distinct voices in one persons mind.
The “creation” room is now complete clear of all the magical apparatus that filled the room on our first visit. It makes it easier for me to search the walls for secret doors. They had to get into the room somehow with bring all their stuff with them. I did find a secret door opposite were I found the last secret door. I checked the door upon finding no traps Specere opened the door. The hallway on the other side of the door was only five feet wide just like the hallway on the other side. Way to small for Trot to fit down now that he has grown. Argent led the way followed by Specere, Enalo (in Rhinoceros form) followed by me. The hallway wandered around to an old door. I inspected and found no traps. Specere opened the stone door. In the room was a stone box with writing on the side. The writing read, “May the curse of blood destroy all who desecrate my resting place.” Argent opened the top and inside was a dead drow dressed in Full Plate Mail with a black scorpion on the front, a crown and a long sword. As Argent was looking in the stone coffin the creature eyes opened and Argent said he felt a wave of panic sweep over his body before he shook it off. With that the creature sprang to it feet and swung the sword and hit Argent before dropping the weapon. The creature looked like a vampire. Argent assumed a stance that would slice right through any defenses the creature might have and dropped the vampire with one hit. We took the crown, full plate armor and long sword. We returned to the “creation” room and I searched, as Inspecter Gideon an older man who wears a monocle, the walls and floor for a secret way out of the room. Upon not finding any secret doors or traps on the door I open the door so I could check the hallway beyond the door for secret doors. As I opened the door I heard the most terrible scream I had ever heard in my life. I affected me to my very soul. I remember everything going dark.
I awoke looking into the face of a man I had never seen before. As things came into focus I realized that I was in a church of some kind. Not far away stood Argent and Specere. As I glanced around the room I noticed that Enalo and Trot were lying on the floor and they looked dead. This is the moment that I realized I had just been brought back to life. Then the real shock his me … I was no longer disguised. My hair and skin had a pale gray color. I was Sarai Steward again. It had been a long time since I had been in my true form. Argent and Specere didn’t seem to care. I guess I had changed into so many different guises they just assumed this one was another one. Not feeling comfortable in my true form a quickly assumed the Archmage Tyrrick persona. Argent and Specere explained that when I opened the door a wail resounded throughout the room everyone felt the powerful magic pass through their bodies. Only Argent and Specere survived. They guessed someone took notice of us killing their creature creator and decide to leave a message. That would explain why they didn’t disrupt the portal this time. The guys explained they needed me to go and get our items from my merchant and sell them for the best possible prices so we could true resurrect Enalo and raise Trot from the dead. They also told me they took all my platinum off my body and had sold the crowns, full plate armor and the scepter to the school as historical artifacts. They needed me to negotiate because we needed another 30,000gp. That was a lot of money. In the end we sold all the items we had in storage except for the amulet of natural armor. The church happily resurrected Enalo and raised Trot from the dead. I sure they were happy they made 55,000gp for one days work.
With our group alive and well again we were all itching to head back into the pyramid and extract some revenge. We had to pass back through the trap room while Enalo had to shrink Trot so he could fit through the partially collapsed wall. We went all the way back past the ramp room and down the hallway where the boulder had rolled. At the first intersection we looked north and saw a hallway about 90 feet long with no doors. Looking west we could see a doorway with some scorch marks across from the door. We chose to go down the 90-foot hallway. At several intervals I looked for secret doors. I finally found one at the end of the hallway. On the other side of secret door was a room full of bones, several feet deep at some points. Specere got all religious again and began organizing the bones. I checked the two doors, one in the north wall and one in the south wall. Neither was trapped so we went back out the southern door. The hallway outside the room went south 50 feet then turned to the west. Then the hallway formed a giant 30 feet by 60 feet rectangular loop with a door in the furthest west hall. I checked the door and listened for intelligent thoughts. I detected three minds and continued listening and finally heard one think “There’s something outside the door better get ready”. I told the guys and we made ready. Specere opened the door and three huge chitinous beetle-like creatures were ready to attack. Enalo guessed they were Umber Hulks. Argent went first and pounded the closest hulk with a powerful attack from the doorway. We decided it would be best if we hold the door so they could all attack at once. I pulled out the new wand of fireballs and fired a blast in the middle of the room hitting all three hulks. The hulk that Argent attacked attacked Argent back missing with its two claws and nasty bite. The other two hulks tired to confuse Argent with some ability they possess. Argent said he started feeling confused, but was able to regain his composure before it could fully affect him. Specere made his single powerful attack he usually uses the first round of every combat and slammed the first hulk with an incredible attack finishing it off. Enalo cast a spell called arc lightning and hit the two remaining hulks with the bolt killing one of them. With two hulks gone Argent charged into the room and attacked the last hulk, but missed. I pulled my wand of scorching ray and targeted the hulk hitting with a flash of fire. The hulk tried using it ability on Argent again, but Argent was unaffected this time. Specere charged into the room and landed a hit on the hulk. Argent landed the final killing blow to the last hulk. I searched the room and found nothing of value. We pulled out of the room and headed north again. At the first intersection we turned east and checked the door about 40 feet down the hallway. The door was untrapped, and there weren’t any thoughts in the room so we headed on in. The room was mostly empty except for a black ebony coffin. The walls were painted in a depicting a courtly scene with several drow serving a queen. The coffin was untrapped so Argent opened the lid and …

Quote:
[Enalo states he is riding Trot his now huge crocodile]
{Archmage Tyrrick} Well now that he is huge you must be doing the splits
[In reference to the Umber Hulk having no treasure and that Brendan DM’s another campaign.]
{Specere} Aw man, the DM went Brendan with the treasure.
[Enalo evaluates the value of a crown at 5000gp and most of the rest of the group was much lower]
{Archmage Tyrrick} When we split the treasure, the 5000gp crown is your share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home