Monday, June 11, 2007

Session 25 June 5, 2007

Session 25 The Ruins of Al-Anria and the Fire Giant Necromancer
Dungeon Master: {Josh)

The Players:
Sarai Stewart aka “Arch-Mage Tyrrick”, “Inspector Gideon” and “Malice the Unseen” (Brendan) Changeling Thief-7, Wizard-1, Master of Masks-4
Enalo Endless Shores (Mike) Water Goblin Druid-12
Specere Tredecim (Jeff) Synad Psionic Warrior-4, Crusader-8

Argent (Ben) Warforged War Blade-12 [Dead]
Ann the Crocodile (Mike) Enalo’s Animal Companion [Dead]
Trot the Crocodile (Mike) Enalo’s Animal Companion [Dead]
Othokent Ketherd (Michael) Kobold Bard-5 [Retired]
Prechrysler (Steve) Human Wizard-4 Sorcerer-1 [Retired]

We quickly decided that even though we were short Argent’s “sword” we were currently up a celestial lion and a crocodile. Further we didn’t want to give the vampires, we just fought, time to regenerate and return to help their leader. Enalo healed those of us who were wounded and we approached the giant double doors. I searched the door and didn’t find any traps. We decided it would take too long to try and detect thought and we knew there was something on the other side of the door anyways. Specere opened the door and standing in the opening was two huge wyverns. Behind the wyverns was a smallish deformed giant with a floating head next to it. The room itself looked like some kind of observatory with a large viewing lens in the middle of the room. I attacked first by launching a fireball into the room. I figured it wouldn’t damage the fire giant, but the floating head and two wyverns should be affected. Following my spell I stepped to the side just out of the fire giants sight. The fire giant cast a spell and we all took damage from the spell. Enalo said it was a mass cause wounds spell. The two wyverns concentrated their attacks on Specere. Luckily only one claw landed. The next attack was from the floating head. It moved forward and screamed. It scared the hell out of me, but I recovered. Specere on the other hand was frightened out of his mind and cowered in fear. He didn’t even try to defend himself. This was bad since he was our main fighter that just left Enalo, a summoned crocodile, a summoned celestial lion and myself. Enalo cast a powerful ice spell into the room and flew, as a bat, out of sight of the main door. The crocodile charged up and grappled one of the wyverns. There were pretty evenly matched. Specere was so frightened that we just cowered right in front of the other wyvern. I made a quick evaluation of the situation and figured the wyverns were going to be busy killing Specere and the summoned crocodile. The floating head and giant needed to be stopped, especially the giant. If we let him continue to cast spells the battle wasn’t going to last much longer. I decided I should enter the room and try and sneak attack the giant maybe I could distract him long enough for Enalo to summon another creature. I cast invisibility on myself and used my immediate magic to fly into the room. As I passed by the floating head I felt a wave of fear pass though my body. I got as far through the room as I could before the fly spell ended, right behind the giant. My celestial lion charged and attacked the second wyvern drawing his attacks away from Specere. The only real enemy the giant could see was Specere, so he used a spectral hand to try and touch him with some kind of spell. Specere was able to shake of the effects of the new spells, but he continued to cower in fear of the floating head. The head screamed again. I felt much less afraid of it this time. Somewhere outside the room I hoped Enalo was summoning something to help me after my attack on the giant. If he didn’t summon something I wouldn’t last but a few second going toe-to-toe with the fire giant. I waited for just the right opportunity to attack the giant. First I changed into my persona of Malice the Unseen for the extra sneak attack damage. I made my attack and the giant definitely noticed the attack somehow after the attack I felt much weaker. At least I could tell my attack hurt him. He turned, looking a little surprised to see me, and cast a spell on me. I activate the brief figment of myself so he had to guess which of the two images was me. He guessed correctly and I could feel two different effects, but neither of them seemed to affect me. The floating head came over and attack the other image causing it to disappear. The ungrappled wyvern attacked and killed my celestial lion and would soon refocus its attention on Specere. Specere probably won’t last long with the Wyverns powerful attacks. Finally something good happened. Thank the Traveler; Enalo did summon an Icy Grillion with four arms to help me out. He also cast a dispel magic at the fire giant and the faint flickering energy surrounding the giant disappeared. The grillion rushed up and began attacking the fire giant with its four arms. Since the giant was distracted I stepped back and shot the grappled wyvern with a magic missile killing it. The fire giant sensed the turn in the battle released some kind of negative energy burst. The main target was Specere. He looked much weaker after the attack. The last wyvern continued to attack Specere. The floating head came over to help out it master and attacked the girillion. The summoned crocodile tried grappling the remaining wyvern without any luck. The girillion on the other hand continued to pound the fire giant with its relentless four arms. Following the attacks by the girillion the fire giant dropped dead. The floating head immediately fled out the opening in the roof and the remaining wyvern collapsed returning to the land of the dead. We grabbed the giant items and cut his head off for proof for High Priestess Zumana. If Zumana planned on attacking us, now was the time. Most of our best spells had been used up and we were still short Argent. Inspecting the device we discovered that the crystals could be removed. We sent the girillion over to take one. It removed the crystal and a soul was released. It floated around the room. It was vaguely elf shaped. That’s when I realized that this was the souls of the Valanar Elves. We all began removing the crystals releasing the trapped souls. After the last crystal had been removed two ancient elven spirits stopped and thanked us for freeing them. We told them of the attacks on Aundair and asked if they would stop the attacks. They told us the attacks would stop immediately and that the Valanar Elves would forever hold us in high favor. The last two elven spirits left out the hole in the roof. I went back and took what was left of Argent’s body and put it into the bag of holding. We looked briefly looked for the four vampire’s coffins but didn’t have any luck. We decided it might be best to try and cross the city and make a run for the elevator. Enalo was able to guide us back through the tunnels to the city without getting lost. I would have definitely gotten us lost. Once we got near the city we did our best to sneak across the city and past Zumana’s temple. I noticed several thought that seemed to notice us. One of the thoughts disappeared into the building, probably to alert all the drow to our attempt to escape. We hastily made our way to the elevator as what looked like hundreds of drow came flowing out of the temple. Once the elevator made it to the top I did my best to disable it so they couldn’t use it to catch us. We ran to the top of the ziggurat, down the stair, across the lava field and into the forest until it was too dark to continue. We set up camp and took our watches. In the morning we continued towards the halfling village until that evening. We decided we should be far enough from the drow to use the whistle. I blew the whistle and waited. About an hour later a portal opened. It remained open so we decided to pass through it and see what was on the other side. Stormreach! We made it back to civilization. We need a vacation after dealing with the Ruins of Al-Anria.

Quotes:

[Those who fail the save against the Vargoyles scream became shaken]
{Argent} Your shaken, not stirred.

[The Girillion has the rend ability]
{Tyrrick} That’s rended, not rear ended.

[Asking Enalo what he uses for a missile weapon]
{Enalo} I shot pets.

[DM attacked Specere with a wyvern]
{DM} You evaded the money bite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home