Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Session 4 December 12, 2006

Session 4 Theft on the Lightning Rail

“Thermon Gylain” and “Yesenia Rubian” (Brendan) Changeling Thief-2
Argent (Ben) Warforged War Blade-2
Enalo Endless Shores (Mike) Water Goblin Druid-2
Othokent Ketherd (Michael) Kobold Bard-2
Prechrysler (Steve) Human Wizard-1 Sorcerer-1

It is good to see civilization after hiking for several days since Negatory. I myself only had three days worth of food and have been rationing myself to try and make it last. I’m looking forward to a nice big meal and a hot bath. We found ourselves an inn where I eat and order a hot bath. One of the first things we found out is that Cragwar is a lightning rail stop on the way to Sharn. Later we headed down to the train station to see about ordering five one-way tickets to Sharn. To our horror and surprise the price is 1200 gp each. We check our money and selling of some of our supplies and unused item we might be able to come up with one ticket. Someone suggested that we should apply for jobs on the lightning rail and work our way to Sharn. When the train arrives we do just that and find that they do have some openings. I offer my services and knowledge of Wines as a Wine Steward. Orto offers to be a luggage handler, Argent is used in security, Prechrysler uses his spellcasting to earn a spot in maintenance and Enalo is assigned the responsibility for the care of the animals. We are hired by Chief MacAber and as such are to report to him. When everyone else is gone I explain that I am a changeling and that I will be using the guise of Yesenia Rubian a young attractive serving girl. The second thing I do before the train leaves is purchase I very nice serving dress. To my surprise I’m assigned the first class Wine Steward. First class is an easy job there are only seven customers to serve. The main job is to try and keep alcohol in front of a large elderly man named Lord Berto. Another interesting first class traveler is a handsome elven bard named Alarik. He is nice and flirts with me the whole time I serve him. The other travelers are Lady Lizbeth, Lord Berto “trophy wife” very attractive, but doesn’t seem very intelligent. Another traveler is a sweaty little gnome named Gnordo. He is a very nervous guy and very skittish. There is another woman traveler who apparently is a cook on her way to take over cook duties at a fancy upscale restaurant in Sharn. She has one of those attitudes that she thinks she is better than the rest of us. The last two travelers are a young girl about 12 and her nanny. Lulu the girl is a demanding child; she is the daughter of a powerful family with lot of money. The nanny is a very plain mosey woman who caters to Lulu’s every whim. Her name is Poppy, poor woman has to put up with a lot with that little girl. They come and go through out the day I guess it’s better staying in the serving car than stuck in their small quarters. Later in the evening after all the patron’s have headed off to bed Chief MacAber tells me to met him down in the last train car which happens to be the luggage car. I change into Thermon Gylain and head down. When I get their Enalo, Argent, and Otho are already there. After a couple minutes Prechrysler also arrives. Chief MacAber enters with Gnordo the sweaty gnome, who looks even sweatier, if that’s possible. MacAber explains that sometime during the last couple of hours there has been a robbery. Gnordo the merchant had a small bag of emeralds he kept in his luggage. He would come down here and check every couple of hours and upon his last check the gems were gone. The only people who had access down here were the first class passengers. MacAber assures Gnordo he will assign the five on us to began the investigation. MacAber further explains we will arrive at the station in one hour and we need to have finished our investigation before then. MacAber said he couldn’t look into the investigation as he had prior duties he must perform before the arrival at the station. We first asked Gnordo to explain what he knew. He said he came down here every two hours and checked on his purse of gems to make sure they were still there. The gems were kept in a small purse. I took it upon myself to go around and question the first class passengers. As Thermon Gylain they don’t know who I am but I already know something about each of them. The first person I visit is room one: Lord Berto. After knocking on his door for several minutes he final answers. He looks terrible, I ask him if heard anything or anyone in the hall after the serving car closed. He says “No I was asleep the whole time”. After what I saw him drink he probably came down here and passed out. Next stop going down the hall was room 2: Lady Lizbeth. I asked her if she had heard anything during the night. She said she didn’t and went straight to bed. I could tell she was hiding something. I thanked her and went to the next room. Room 3 was Gnordo’s so I skipped it. He seemed genuinely concerned that he was robbed and he seemed to have no reason to steal his own gems. Room 4 was Alarik the Bard. I knocked on his door and he answered I asked him if he had heard anything or anyone in the hall. He was very defensive and very arrogant much different from the gentleman who was flirting with my alter ego Yesenia. He wanted to know why we were bothering him and interrupting his sleep. We explained that there was an incident and we were looking into it. He was very uncooperative, but claims to have been in bed the whole time. In the mean time Otho investigated the crime scene found some blood on the floor next to the Gnordo’s luggage. He didn’t remember seeing it earlier when he loaded all the luggage into the car. We searched the car some more, but didn’t turn up anything. Otho was also able to find out about some of the guests. Lord Berto and Lady Lizbeth were land owners who were down on their luck and financial strapped. Hopus was a very famous cook and highly sought after before taking the job in a very prestigious restaurant in Sharn. Lula was an only child and spoiled in every way conceivable. Her family was a very privileged and powerful family. Her father is a powerful noble. The nanny on the other hand was a poor woman until she was hired to care for Lula. I went back to the sleeper car and when to room 5 across from Room 1. This was Hopus the cook’s room. She was mildly bothered to be awoken. We asked her if she had heard anything or seen anything during the night. She said she saw the bard out of his room, but other than that she didn’t hear or see anything. While taking to her I noticed that she had a cut on one of fingers. I asked her what happened to her finger she said she cut it when she was last cooking. She is a very secretive woman I couldn’t get a read on her at all. She might be lying to me or telling me the truth, but I couldn’t tell. The next room 6 across from room 2 belonged to Lula. She was a pain in the butt. She was angry and grumpy from being awoken. It wasn’t long before Poppy showed up to appease her. I asked Lula if she heard anything during the night. She said she heard some lots of grunting coming from across the hall. The room across the hall was Lady Lizbeth; she said she had been asleep the whole time. Further I thought Lady Lizbeth was holding something back when I first asked her. While she was there I asked Poppy if she had heard anything she said “No” after she put Lula to bed she went to her room and went to sleep. Room 8 was next, but no one stayed in that room so I searched the room in case someone hid the gems in there. No such luck. Chief MacAber came down and checked on us telling us we were running out of time and that the train would be arriving in 20 minutes. While talking to us Prechrysler noticed a tear in MacAber’s cloak. He didn’t say anything, but he decided to follow MacAber without his knowledge. I decided it was time to press Lady Lizbeth a little harder and see what I could learn. I knocked on her door and she answered. I asked her again if she had heard anything during the night and what she had been doing. She again said she was sleeping and again I felt she was hiding something. I explained that I had a witness that said there were some noises coming from her room. She looked both shocked and panicked. I asked her again to explain what was going on. She looked distraught and said “Please don’t tell my husband, but that handsome Bard was in here tonight. I love my husband, but with his drinking there are some things he can no longer take care of.” The time that they were together in her room coincided with the time of the crime. Both Lady Lizbeth and Alarik the bard had alibis. Further Lord Berto was too drunk to do anything but pass out. I didn’t believe Gnordo took his own gems. Lula was too young and Poppy watched her with an eagle eye most of the time. That left me with Hopus the cook and Poppy who I couldn’t clear. Prechrysler came back and said that MacAber wasn’t all that busy he wandered up to the front of the train talked with the engineers and went to his room and looked at a couple of books. We all compared our information and tried to come up with a suspect. None of us could find a definite answer. Following up on Prechryler’s information Enalo and I went to MacAber’s room to do some investigation and see if anything turned up. While we were in his room MacAber was informing the rest of the group they were arriving in the station in 5 minutes and he needed an answer. Prechryler’s instincts served him further when he cast detect magic and found MacAber had a magic pouch on his belt. Prechryler asked MacAber what was the magic on his belt. MacAber explained it was a pouch used as part of the job checking tickets etc. Prechryler asked him to open the pouch, but MacAber refused. Prechryler pressed him further and that’s when MacAber snapped and attacked. Luckily Argent was right there along with Otho. The three men killed MacAber, who reverted into a doppelganger upon his death. It seems that the doppelganger snuck on the train and killed the original MacAber, in the luggage car, hence the hole in the back to the cloak and the blood on the floor. The doppelganger dumped the body off the train and assumed the role of MacAber. That is one of the reasons he assigned the job to us hoping we wouldn’t be able to figure out who had committed the crime … guess he was wrong. In the pouch were the gems and just as we arrived on the station we gave the gems back to a very grateful gnome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home